Every day, more and more people are drawn to the idea of having a portable stove. A push cart that provides you with all the things you need to cook your meals away from home is becoming an increasingly popular choice for many people. Camp Chef vs Blackstone is one of today’s most talked about debates in this particular industry. That being said, there are several differences between these two companies. In this article we will discuss both their similarities and dissimilarities, as well as which company might be better suited for your specific needs.
Camp Chef and Blackstone are two of the most well-known equipment manufacturers for outdoor cooking. They both have a reputation for being top-of-the-line and dependable. Each company offers something different from the other, which makes it hard to decide which one is better. However, which is better?
What is Camp Chef?
Camp Chef is a company that has been around since 1974. They are known for making high-end cooking equipment, which makes them perfect for catering to commercial purposes. Some of the products they offer include smokers, grills, stoves, ovens, etc. Their most well-known product is their portable grill/smoker combo called the Camp Chef Explorer 2-Burner Stove.
What is Blackstone?
Blackstone Products was founded in 2003 by Robert Liguori and Tony Demaria with their goal being to produce high-quality cast-iron skillets at an affordable price. This goal has remained true throughout the years as this remains one of their top selling products today. One popular item they have is the Tabletop Grill, which is a portable grill that doubles as a table. This helps greatly when you are low on space and need an outdoor cooking surface without sacrificing any extra room.
Which is better?
Camp Chef Vs Blackstone? Both Camp Chef and Blackstone offer high-quality products, and both have a good reputation for doing so. They also typically provide top advice and customer service whenever you need it. However, the best way to determine which company is better would be to compare their most popular portable grills/smokers: The Explorer 2-Burner Stove vs Tabletop Grill. It really comes down to what type of cooking experience that you prefer as these two products are completely different from one another.
Camp Chef’s Most Popular Product: The 2-Burner Stove
Camp Chef has become well known for producing high-quality cast iron cookware at an affordable price and they do it all while maintaining a solid reputation. Their most popular product is their 2-Burner Stove, which they offer in the following options:
- Explorer 2-Burner Stove – This stove can be found in either stainless steel or compact all-black with both having a good reputation for its performance. It has two 10,000 BTU burners that are perfect for cooking outdoors plus it comes in at 47 pounds and measures 22.5 x 21.5 x 12 inches (WxDxH). The stove sits on four rugged caster wheels that make transporting extremely easy while its Pack-Away option allows you to remove the legs if space needs to be conserved. It also comes with two foldable worktables, which are great for setting up your cooking space without needing to bring an extra table. It also comes with a grease cup, available in 16- or 22-ounce options, and it is compatible with disposable aluminum pie pans for roasting up some potatoes, veggies, or even meat if the mood strikes. Like most Camp Chef products, it has a great reputation so you can rest assured that your purchase will be worth it
- Explorer 2-Burner Base Camp Stove – This stove is identical to the previous one except that it gives you the ability to upgrade things such as: an 8-inch-high windscreen and a pot/frying pan holder plus it offers adjustable legs for uneven surfaces. Like we mentioned before, we cannot stress enough how well these stoves are and this is evident by how many people tend to look into them as an option.
You may like this: Top 7 Best 2 Burner Gas Grill – Complete Buying Guide
Blackstone’s Most Popular Product: The Tabletop Grill
The quality and affordability of Blackstone’s products is what has made them such a popular brand around the world. Some of their most popular items include their cast iron skillets, which have been used for generations to create mouthwatering meals. Their most popular product, however, has got to be their Tabletop Grill due to it being a cast iron grill that doubles as a table! This allows you to easily set up your cooking space without sacrificing any extra room since it can fold down flat when not in use. It may only have two burners, but they are still 10,000 BTUs each and can be cranked up to a maximum of 30,000 BTUs. This allows you to easily cook some burgers or steak outdoors on a whim. It has an impressive 3/8-inch cast iron cooking surface that provides even heat distribution while its water reservoir makes it so that you don’t have to constantly refill your water pan as often as with other grills.
Which Product is Right for You?
Camp Chef Vs Blackstone? Both products are popular among those seeking the best portable grill without needing to spend too much money. However, they both excel in different aspects so it will ultimately come down to what type of experience you want from a product like this:
● The Explorer 2-Burner Stove – If you need something powerful and mobile yet still easy to set up, then this is the grill for you. It has two sturdy 10,000 BTU burners and caster wheels make transporting it a breeze while its assembly time takes around five minutes or less.
● The Blackstone Tabletop Grill – This grill lets you effortlessly cook up some excellent tasting food no matter where you are since it can be set anywhere! Its cooking surface allows 584 square inches of room inside which is more than enough space for just about anything that comes your way. Disclaimer: We cannot advocate grilling indoors as there is a serious risk of fire as well as damage to the stove itself. Also, both products require access to an electrical outlet so they will not work without being plugged in somewhere. We hope this article has been helpful to those seeking one of the best portable gas grills for their next camping trip or tailgate party!
Let’s compare their products side by side.
Camp Chef vs Blackstone
First, let’s take a look at some common features of both brands (this may vary depending on your model):
Both brands offer gas-powered portable grills ranging between $200-$800 with convenient features such as foldable legs, removable side shelves, propane fuel options, etc. Both brands also offer accessories such as pizza stones, grill covers, temperature probes/remote control units (Grillboss) & more.
For this review we will be comparing Camp Chef vs. Blackstone in the following categories:
– Construction & Durability
– Heat Distribution/Cooking Ability
– Ease of Use
– Cooking Surface
– Heat Burners and BTUs Ratings
– Grease Management
– Warming Racks
– Stirring/Scraping Tools
– Customer Service
So, let’s see how these two stacks up against each other!
Construction & Durability
There really isn’t anything more important when looking for outdoor equipment than construction and durability. You don’t want some cheap, poorly made piece of junk that you’re going to have to break out every time you want to use it.
Fortunately, both companies have a long-standing reputation for well-made equipment. Both scale models are made with heavy duty materials and will hold up against the outdoor elements.
Since I haven’t had my hands on all of Blackstone’s products, I can’t say this for sure but it appears that they tend to focus more on their griddles than Camp Chef does. If you’re looking for something that is well-built and relatively inexpensive then the Camp Chef Explorer 2 Burner Stove looks like the best bet out of what they offer (the Explorer is basically an XG large). The construction is solid, and it comes with 3 years warranty which should give you enough time at least to recoup your initial investment!
Heat Distribution/Cooking Ability
Camp Chef Vs Blackstone? Both Camp Chef and Blackstone have the ability to cook food evenly, but I think Blackstone has a slight edge here. Their griddles tend to heat up faster than Camp Chefs. This might be due to the design of their burners or something else. For this reason, you should check out both brands before making your decision!
Camp Chef offers a 3-year warranty on all parts except for paint. If anything goes wrong with your stove, then you are covered by that warranty. It’s super easy to register your stoves as well (I had mine registered within 5 minutes).
Blackstone only offers 1 year of warranty on parts and 90 days on electrical components (if they fail within 90 days you can get them replaced). So basically, if anything goes wrong with your grill then it’s on you to fix the problem.
Ease of Use
Both models are relatively easy to set up and use. They come equipped with well written manuals that will give even beginners the confidence they need! (Of course, I always recommend that you read through any manual before using outdoor cooking equipment anyways.)
Blackstone offers a larger variety of sizes than Camp Chef does. If you’re looking for something in particular like a smaller or larger model, then Blackstones is probably the way to go here. Their Explorer 2 Burner (the highest end model) costs about $300 while Camp Chefs largest 3 burner stove costs around $200.
The Camp Chef Explorer is certainly not an entry level stove and can hold its own among other stoves in this price range. I think the ease of use, construction & durability make it a great value for the money!
Out of all their equipment, Griddles are what Blackstone specializes in. If you’re looking to save some money then the Grill Zone, which is probably Blackstones lowest end griddle, is very affordable at just ~$100. The design might seem a little flimsy but i’ve found them to be surprisingly durable! Just remember that there are no covers available with this model so plan accordingly.
The cooking surface area is probably the most important factor you should consider before purchasing any outdoor cooking equipment. You don’t want to end up with something that’s too small or too big! The Blackstone griddles will definitely give you more bang for your buck (up to 191 sq. in.!) but if this is not what you’re looking for then it might be better to go with Camp Chef who offers a variety of different sizes.
If you need more than three burners, then I would recommend taking a look at Blackstones XG 350 model which features 4 independently controlled burners. This model will give you the ability to cook multiple things at once and has an upper warming rack as well! It costs just around $200 so it’s not bad.
If you’re looking for the best of the best then check out Blackstones XG 500 model. This is their top tier stove and it’s actually right below the level where they feature free shipping! It costs just over $400 but has everything that a large group could need or want. You can fit 16 burgers on this baby! If you have more than one cooking surface, then I would recommend checking out their XG 600 which features six burners plus an additional warming rack.
For those of us who are interested in a smaller version, Blackstone also offers a two-burner model called The Chef. It has about 150 sq. inches of cooking area so it should be big enough to cook most things. This model features a built-in lid holder which is perfect for keeping your griddle lids within arm’s reach.
Whether you’re new to outdoor cooking or just looking for an upgrade then it’s worth checking out both brands! Blackstone certainly offers more products for your money, but Camp Chef is known for being a very dependable brand as well. If you have any experience with either of these stoves, then please feel free to leave a comment below & let me know what you think about them.
Heat Burners and BTUs Ratings
Blackstone: The top-of-the-line Linz Model features a 80,000 BTU burner while their other burners feature 60,000 BTUs.
Camp Chef: The Explorer model features three 40,000 BTU burners and one 20,000 BTU Warming Burner.
Both Blackstone and Camp Chef have been continuously working on implementing grease management systems in their products. But when it comes down to the actual design of the units, they’re both relatively similar with shallow pans and a central drain.
The main difference between their stoves is that Blackstone offers a secondary warming rack on almost all of their griddles while Camp Chef does not.
Neither brand has any tools designed specifically for stirring & scraping the cooking surface, but you can purchase some stainless-steel grill brushes on Amazon or some similar products. These won’t scratch your griddle and they’re useful for cleaning. However, we would recommend that if you have one of their models with an enameled coating then we wouldn’t use these brushes because it might scratch the enamel.
Camp Chef Vs Blackstone? Both Blackstone and Camp Chef are made of steel, but they use different thicknesses. Blackstone uses 0.5mm thick steel on their burners while Camp Chef uses 1.0mm thick steel on theirs for example.
This is where the biggest difference comes in with these two brands offering different kinds of griddle surfaces at varying price points. You can check out all of their products here and you’ll be able to see exactly what I’m referring to with this review. However, I would say that if you’re looking for a very basic & affordable model then we would recommend checking out the Griddler from Cuisinart which isn’t too bad!
Camp Chef is known for selling most of their accessories separately which can make it hard to find the exact product that you need.
Blackstone, on the other hand, is known for selling everything in a kit together so your purchase will come with all necessary components.
When cooking with any griddle, the grease management system plays an important role . Grease build up is inevitable but if you have one with either a slotted or mesh design then you won’t have to worry about grease flooding your burners & creating unnecessary smoke. There are different types of grease management systems but what really matters here is that they’re specifically designed for this purpose!
Some higher end brands have splash guards built in specifically to help prevent this kind of issue from occurring.
Both Blackstone and Camp Chef have a very good customer service and their representatives are usually quick to respond.
Other things to consider
Once you’ve settled on one of these models then we would highly recommend buying a carrying case for your stove since the griddles themselves usually don’t come with any kind of carry bag or storage system which can be frustrating because without one, they’re difficult to transport and that means that it’s more likely that you’ll leave something behind if you have to leave in a hurry. You can find prices and details about some great carrying cases here.
If you do decide on purchasing a carry case, then make sure to check out our industry leading Outdoor Cooking Buyer’s Guide where we review all kinds of other outdoor cooking equipment as well! We also provide side by side comparisons and ratings & recommendations for dozens of different products that we think you’ll find useful!
After reviewing both brands and going with a price-to-feature comparison with all of the products that they have to offer then we would have to say that Blackstone is definitely our top choice. They’re most expensive model is just over $400 and it has a massive 728 sq. inches of cooking surface which seems crazy but you can actually fit 384 burgers on this thing at once! So, if you have a big family or if you do a lot of outdoor parties with large groups & crowds, then I would recommend checking out their higher end griddles first.
And since they do free shipping on orders over $250, your shopping experience is going to be hassle free and easy going since there’s no need for an additional fee for buying from them online. If you’re a bit more conservative when it comes to your griddle purchases, then the Camp Chef is definitely a good alternative. It’s going to set you back about $100 for their least expensive model which is actually really good but just keep in mind that this brand does have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to customer service so if you don’t need any specialty parts or accessories then we would go with Blackstone first before making sure that Cuisinart is going to be able to offer you everything that you might need from them.
And at the end of the day, both brands are amazing & both will get the job done especially if you take some time to make sure that yours is well maintained and properly seasoned! These stoves still aren’t as common as grills & smokers which is why they’re often hard to clean, scrape and maintain without proper techniques.
But with, if you have any questions or concerns about anything then feel free to give us a call anytime! We’ll be happy to help in any way that we can so don’t hesitate to ask away because we’ve been using these things for years and our experience with them has helped us build up the knowledge base necessary to provide detailed reviews like this one.
Don’t forget to check out our other reviews of pellet smokers, electric smokers, and charcoal grills before you go because there’s plenty of helpful information on those pages. And last but not least, make sure that you subscribe to our free newsletter in order to get notified whenever we publish new grill reviews.
FAQs on Better Camp Chef vs Blackstone
Which companies sell better camp chef grills?
– Better Camp Chef is a more popular brand but you can find their products on Amazon as well as many other retailers. Blackstone also sells directly from their website as well as some e-commerce sites.
Which company offers the best customer service?
– This is a tough one to answer since they both have an equal amount of positive and negative reviews. However, based on what I’ve seen so far it looks like Blackstone has been able to maintain a slightly higher level of customer satisfaction over time.
Are there any differences in durability between these brands?
– The camping stove market is pretty new so there haven’t been any real studies done comparing different brands, but it looks like the most common complaints are that the feet on the stoves tend to fall off after a while.
What is better camp chef or blackstone?
– Camp Chef Vs Blackstone? The best way to answer this question is through specs since they both have positives and negatives. However, Blackstone does offer more features for your money but it could be worth checking out some other brands as well if you don’t like either of these two companies.
Which company makes better griddles? Better Camp Chef or Blackstone?
– Again, just based on what I’ve seen so far in terms of reviews then it seems like Blackstone has been able to maintain their level of quality slightly higher than Camp Chef. This doesn’t necessarily mean that one is better than the other though! It’s all about what fits your specific needs and preferences.
Are these brands known to rust?
– Yes, both stoves will eventually start to show signs of rust. However, if you take good care of them then this could mean that they’ll last a few more years before they finally wear out. In any case, I wouldn’t recommend leaving them outside for too long!
Why buy a blackstone grill or camp chef stove?
– It depends on what you’re looking for but the biggest reason why people might prefer one over another is because Blackstone offers a wider variety of products since they have been around longer than Camp Chef. This means that there’s more chance that their customers will be able to find exactly what they need at an affordable price. The other reason is that these two brands both offer decent quality products, but Blackstone just offers more value for your money.
What are the best camp chef accessories to buy?
– There are so many different accessories out there that it’s impossible to give a set list of recommendations. I would start off with some basic grill brushes and then see what you need after that! But if you really want to get the most bang for your buck then I’d recommend doing some research on their different accessories before making a purchase decision.
Why do people like camping?
– Camping is a great way to spend time in nature & slowdown from society’s “hurry-up” mindset. To make sure it stays this way, we should all try to contribute to keeping the outdoors beautiful by taking good care of it!
Is blackstone grill a good brand?
– I’ve seen nothing but positive reviews about their products so I would say yes, they are.
What is Blackstones best grill?
– I really couldn’t answer this because it’s based on your own preferences and needs. You should always take some time to find out what will work best for you at an affordable price.
How much are blackstone grills?
– Again, just like the last question, there’s no straight answer since it’ll depend on different factors such as size & materials used. Try checking out their website or Amazon page for more details!
Where can I buy blackstone griddle?
– They sell their griddles on almost all of the major retail sites like Amazon, Walmart etc. You can also find online stores that specialize in selling outdoor equipment!
What is blackstone grill?
– Blackstone manufactures a wide variety of products like stoves, grills, smokers and more! Check out their website for more information or check out some of their bestsellers on sites like Amazon.
What are good uses for camp chef ovens?
– It really depends on what size & type you buy but there are endless possibilities to how they can be used. Some popular examples would be camping trips, tailgating parties, hunting trips etc.
(Camp Chef vs Blackstone) What is better?
– This question has been asked an infinite number of times and I wish that there was a simple answer to it! It really depends on your specific needs and preferences so you should look at all the factors involved before making a purchase decision.
How much does a blackstone griddle cost?
– Again, since these griddles vary in size & material used then there’s no straight answer to this question. If you want my opinion though, I will start off with checking out their website or Amazon page for more details!
Do blackstone grills come with lids?
– In most cases, they do but make sure to double check this information on their website or by checking out some online reviews before making a purchase decision.
How often should you clean a blackstone grill?
– This will depend on how much you use your grill but if you want to keep it in top condition then I would recommend doing so every week.
What is the best time to buy a Blackstone grill or stove?
– There’s no perfect time for this since it’ll always be cheaper during the holiday seasons than during the middle of summer! If you really want to save big then just wait for one of these occasions and act as soon as they become available.
Do Camp Chef grills come with lids?
– It depends on which model & size you’re looking at but most of them do include some sort of lid/covering system! Make sure to double check their website or online reviews if you want to be sure.
Is a Blackstone grill worth the money?
– If you’re looking for quality products that’ll last you a long time then I would say yes, they’re definitely worth it! Don’t forget to look at some of their bestsellers on sites like Amazon though as those usually offer better prices than their website.
Is blackstone grill durable?
– They seem to be using high-quality materials and based on what I’ve seen from their customer feedback, most people agree with this sentiment. But again, none of us here can affirm this one way or another so make sure to do your own research before making a decision!
What is the cheapest Blackstone Grill available?
– The biggest sale they offer is during the holiday seasons (usually around Thanksgiving) so if you want to save some money then make sure to check their website or Amazon page for more details!
Do Blackstone grills need a propane tank?
– While most of them do require propane, there are some models that can work with charcoal and/or electricity. Make sure to double check this information on their website.
See more: Top 12 Best Tabletop Grills
How long does it take for a blackstone grill to heat up?
– This question is difficult to answer since it will depend on which specific product, you’re looking at but in general, expect them to get up to temperature relatively quickly.
If not, then go with something that will fulfill your requirements without spending too much money like the Grill Zone Griddle below. That being said, if you need a full-size stove for camping or something else then definitely go with the Explorer 2 Burner.
>>> See more: Camp Chef Pellet Grill and Smoker | Camp Chef Vs Blackstone
Conclusion of Better Camp Chef vs Blackstone
Both brands offer products that are similar. If you need something in particular, then Blackstone might be your best bet as they offer products ranging from $100-$1500 and also have a wider variety of them available. For most people though, Camp Chef will probably do just fine as the quality seems to be pretty solid for what you pay for. If we recall correctly their 3 Burner model is rated higher than Blackstones XG large which costs about twice as much! So, if there was a winner, we would say that it goes to Camp Chef, but feel free to weigh out all your options before making a purchase!
Why we Choose Blackstone?
Camp Chef is great, but it doesn’t compare to the quality of Blackstone Products Inc. If you want high-end quality at an affordable price than look no further than Blackstone. For the same amount of money, you’ll get more bang for your buck with them compared to Camp Chef!